Saturday, September 14, 2024

Overcoming Fear With Faith - 2 Timothy 1:7










Overcoming Fear with Faith
September 15, 2024
2 Timothy 1:7

Good morning friends! I hope you are doing well.

Let’s pray: “Dear Lord, thank you for your protection over us. Thank you for watching over us continually. Please speak to us through your Word today. In Jesus name, Amen.”

BIBLE READING

2 Timothy 1:6-7
“Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

INTRODUCTION

I grew up with a fear of heights. When I was really young, maybe 8 or 9, I tried walking along the top of a fence. It had been raining previously, and the fence was wet and slippery. Of course, I slipped, and fell flat on my back, onto a concrete path. It knocked all the air out of my lungs and I was gasping for air. This experience gave me a fear of heights. 

While having a fear of heights protected me from danger, it was excessive and unreasonable. I was not able to go more than two rungs up a ladder, even if it was totally safe. My fear held me back from doing so. So this fear of heights was a problem. Thankfully when I was 19, I learned to overcome this fear, and yet still be careful.

Most of us fear something. Fear is something we all face. Whether it’s fear of the unknown, fear of failure, or fear of rejection, it can stop us from moving forward. But God has given us a powerful tool to overcome fear—our faith. In 2 Timothy 1:7, Paul reminds us that God hasn’t given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and a sound mind. 

Today, we’re going to explore how we can overcome fear with the faith God has given us. 

We are going to examine how faith in God helps us face our fears and overcome the trials that come our way. We’ll see how God gives us the strength to replace fear with courage, love, and peace of mind.

POWER TO OVERCOME FEAR

Have you ever watched a storm roll in? The sky grows darker, the clouds are ominous. The wind picks up, and then the rain starts pouring down. If you’re caught outside, it’s scary. But when you’re safe inside a sturdy house, the fear fades. You know the storm can’t touch you inside because you’re protected.

In the same way, God has given us a spirit of power to face the storms of life. 


We don’t need to be afraid because we’re protected by God’s power. Fear tries to convince us that we’re weak, but God’s power in us is greater than any challenge or trial we face. His power enables us to move forward, even when we feel afraid.

Isaiah 41:10
"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

Psalm 27:1 
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

Ephesians 6:10 
"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might."

LOVE DRIVES OUT FEAR

I once worked for an employer, who was actually a very good boss. At the time however, I had a fear of people in positions of authority over me, which started when I was growing up. The trouble is that these fears are immature and we need to overcome them. Otherwise the fears will hold us back from God’s purposes for our life. I decided to apply the verse we are studying to the situation.

Instead of being afraid of my boss, I told myself “I love my boss. I care about what happens in his life. I pray for God to help him. I love him with the love that God has placed in my heart.” Once I started praying for my boss, and changing my perspective, I found he was not so scary after all.

In our Bible reading, it appears that Timothy, a young pastor, was afraid of people and their possible reactions to his messages. Paul encourages him to trust in God.

2 Timothy 1:6-7
“Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

God’s love in us, provides the way to cast out the fear.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love. His love for us is perfect, and His perfect love casts out fear. When we understand just how much God loves us, it becomes easier to trust Him and let go of fear. The more we focus on God’s love, the less room there is for fear in our hearts.

1 John 4:18 
"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love."

Romans 8:38-39 
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come... shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

John 15:9 
"As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love."

A SOUND MIND OVERCOMES FEAR

Sometimes we panic. We become afraid. I used to hike on the Pacific Crest Trail in California. One time I had set myself to hike a long stretch along a ridge, 30 miles, which had no water sources. I planned to cover it in two days. This meant I had to carry enough water in my backpack to cover my needs. The first day started fine. As I walked though, it became very hot. I would take little sips of water. The backpack felt more and more heavy, because of the water I was carrying. And my feet started to blister because of the weight I was carrying. This slowed me down. I had planned to travel 15 miles each day. After 12 miles though, I could not go any further. The pain in my feet and back, my tiredness and the high temperature were too much. So I stopped, and camped for the night. I was dehydrated, and during the night I kept sipping water. 

In the morning I thought about my situation. I had used up more than half of my water. Because I had only hiked 12 miles the day before, I now had to hike 18 miles, with blistered feet, but with insufficient water. I was in trouble. I found a place where I could find a cell phone signal, and texted my wife, asking her to contact the ranger. Thankfully, they were able to get me off the ridge, and back to civilization. I was very close to panicking that day. But by praying to God and thinking through the situation I was able to take the right steps.

God gives us a sound mind—self-discipline and peace to think clearly even when fear tries to confuse us. When we keep our focus on God and His Word, our minds are strengthened. We can think calmly and clearly, trusting that God is guiding us through every trial.

Philippians 4:6-7
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Isaiah 26:3 
"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You."

We don't need to give in to fear or anxiety. God gives us the abilty to think clearly, when we ask him to direct our path.

Romans 12:2
"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." 

SUMMARY

God has not given us a spirit of fear.
Instead, He has given us power to face any challenge.
He has given us love to cast out fear and remind us of His care.
And he has given us a sound mind to think clearly and trust Him even when trials come.

CONCLUSION

Fear can stop us from climbing up ladders, it can hurt our relationship with our employer, and it can cause panic when the situation becomes intense.

But God invites us to trust Him. He has given us everything we need to overcome fear—His power, His love, and a sound mind. When fear tries to hold us back, we can move forward in faith, knowing that God is with us, guiding us, and protecting us.

PRAYER

“Dear Lord, thank you for walking with us through the fire of every situation. You are not far from us, but with us, even dwelling inside us through your Holy Spirit. Please help us to overcome fear and trust You completely, no matter what trials we face. Remind us daily of Your great love for us and give us that peace that passes all understanding. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”